Michael’s Chicken Cacciatore
February 27, 2019 | By Mike Gonet | Filed under: Family Recipes
Nothing says Italian like my Chicken Cacciatore. This easy to prepare savory meal will have you coming back for seconds.
Serves 4 comfortably
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
1 chicken divided or 8 pieces of your choice.
½ a jar of Pastene sweet vinegar peppers chopped into 1”x1” pieces*
3 tbs of olive oil
2 tbs of dried oregano (divided)
2 tbs of dried basil (divided)
3 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 med yellow onion, roughly chopped
1 box of fresh crimini 8 oz mushrooms, sliced
1 28 oz can of whole San Marzano plum tomatoes, mashed*
2 cups of frozen peas (optional)
2 tsp salt (divided)
2 tsp fresh ground black pepper (divided)
½ half cup of red wine (Chianti would be my choice)
Grated Romano cheese, as needed
- Season the chicken pieces with ½ the salt, pepper, oregano, and basil.
- Heat up oil in a large sauté pan, then brown all the chicken pieces for about 4 minutes on each side. Take the chicken out and reserve in a bowl.
- Place the mushrooms, vinegar peppers, onions, the remaining salt and pepper in the pan, and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and sauté for 2-3 more minutes.
- Stir in the wine.
- Add the chicken back into the pan.
- Add the mashed tomatoes.
- Add the remaining oregano and basil.
- Cover and cook on simmer for 45 minutes.
- Optional: 10 minutes before finished, add the frozen peas. Note, if you don’t add the peas, serve with a side vegetable or salad.
- This dish can be served with or without pasta. Top with grated Romano cheese. Complement with a nice Italian table wine.