Maintenance Tips for Metal Roofs
May 12, 2023 | By Mark Feller | Filed under: Blog
Maintenance Tips from Metal Roofing Contractors
When we think of home maintenance, our minds quickly go to tuning up our HVAC systems or deep-cleaning the carpets. It’s easy to forget that the roof needs some TLC too! At Classic Metal Roofs, we help homeowners throughout New England better maintain the roofs over their heads. We specialize in a variety of metal roof styles, and our team will help you navigate the maintenance process. Take a look at our quick guide to keeping your roof in top shape.
Why Is Metal Roof Maintenance Important?
Maintaining your metal roof is more important than you may think. Most of us simply ignore the roof until it starts showing problems, but staying on top of maintenance is the best way to ensure you and your family stay safe in the long run. Here are the top reasons why metal roof maintenance should never fall by the wayside:
- Save Time and Money: Left unchecked, roofing issues can lead to costly problems, such as leaks, mold, and even structural damage. Requesting maintenance regularly ensures these issues are caught early, saving you time, money, and a headache.
- Enhance Curb Appeal: Appearance isn’t everything, but it sure does help! A well-maintained roof will enhance your home’s curb appeal, which is especially important if you ever plan to sell your house.
- Make Your Roof Last Longer: Residential metal roofing is built to last, but severe New England storms and harsh winters can reduce your roof’s lifespan. Calling in professional maintenance at least once a year is the best way to prevent the need for a replacement.
- Boost Your Peace of Mind: You shouldn’t have to worry about your roof caving in on you! If you’re concerned that your roof isn’t safe, talk to our team about maintenance, repairs, and a potential replacement.
Your Checklist for Maintaining Metal Roofing Panels
At Classic Metal Roofs, we strive to be among the top metal roofing companies in the region. As such, we’re committed to bringing you comprehensive maintenance services. We’ll leave no stone (or shingle) unturned during our inspection. Whether you trust us with this crucial maintenance task or have the know-how to DIY, here’s what’s included in a thorough roof inspection:
- Cleaning metal shingles
- Clearing snow, ice, leaves, and other debris
- Removing branches that could damage shingles
- Unclogging gutters and drains
- Visually inspecting shingles for damage, scratches, and cracks
- Checking for corrosion and repairing rust
- Identifying penetration point areas
- Scheduling repairs for any loose panels or damage
Take Care of Surface Maintenance First
Before you start checking off items on your roof maintenance list, be sure to get surface work out of the way. Cracks, scratches, and other damage may be obscured by leaves and other debris cluttering the roof, so it’s important to clean up first. Follow these steps for roof surface maintenance:
- Clean out leaves and debris on the roof, including those stuck in valleys and cracks
- Remove twigs and branches on or near the roof
- Inspect for chips, flakes, and fading
- Remove any other materials that may be touching the roof—this includes water, iron, concrete, and other substances that could damage the metal
Consider Pressure Washing or Repainting
Many times, pressure washing or repainting are excellent solutions for restoring your metal roof. However, homeowners may have trouble knowing when each of these options is ideal. Light pressure washing is almost always okay, but if you plan to do the maintenance yourself, be sure to take all safety precautions seriously when up on the roof. Don’t use too much pressure, and make sure you have the proper safety tools. In most cases, it’s best to request professional pressure washing. In addition to pressure washing, you may also want to request repainting services for the following purposes:
- Obscuring surface damage
- Improving curb appeal
- Increasing resale value
- Saving money on extensive repairs
- Protecting the roof from future wear and tear
Loose Screws? Here’s What to Do
High-quality screws are essential to a metal roof’s lifespan. These screws hold panels together, and if they begin to loosen, it could jeopardize the safety of your home. Factors such as temperature, water damage, and normal wear and tear can also cause screws to back out of the roofing structure. Because screws deteriorate due to natural causes, it’s doubly important to keep track of when you last did maintenance. Replace screws whenever you find major damage or severe weather conditions have given you cause for concern. Always look to a professional to make sure new screws are installed properly.
Know When It’s Time for a Replacement
While maintenance and professional repairs go a long way to increasing a roof’s lifespan, there’s no way to make the metal last forever. Inevitably, you’ll need a replacement at one time or another. Most properly-installed metal roofs can last up to 50 years, but after that time, you may start to notice the telltale signs of a failing roof. If you see any of the following, it’s likely time for a metal roof replacement:
- Discoloration or rush
- Damaged paint finishes
- Loose screws
- Missing flashing
- Openings and leaks in the roof
- Gaps between metal panels
- Numerous visible cracks and chips
- Significant damage from severe weather
Get in Touch With Us Today
Maintaining a metal roof isn’t always an easy task, but you don’t have to go it alone! With the help of Classic Metal Roofs, your roof will be in top shape and ready to protect you and your family for years to come. Our team proudly serves homeowners in Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Connecticut, and Rhode Island, and we’re excited to share our expertise with you. Contact us today to learn more about our services.